Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen on strong start
After their disappointing 2020 season, the Arizona Diamondbacks have been one of the most surprising stories in baseball this year. Sixty games into the season, they are tied for first place with the Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West. In a recent episode of “The Show” podcast with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman, D’backs GM Mike Hazen joined to talk about the team’s strong start and their plans for the trade deadline.
During the interview, Hazen discussed the team’s need for pitching and another big bat with power. He also talked about the Diamondbacks’ strong farm system and the “plug-and-play” pitchers they have in Triple-A. Hazen also touched on the tragic passing of his wife due to glioblastoma and how he’s been raising money for the Nicole Hazen Fund for Hope while managing the team and his four children.
Check out the full interview on “The Show” podcast, which releases new episodes every Tuesday afternoon throughout the entire MLB season.
What is “The Show” podcast?
“The Show” is a baseball podcast hosted by Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman, two esteemed sportswriters who cover the MLB.
Who was interviewed on the podcast?
Mike Hazen, the general manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks, was interviewed on the podcast.
What did Hazen discuss during the interview?
Hazen discussed the Arizona Diamondbacks’ strong start this season, their plans for the trade deadline, their need for pitching and another big bat with power, the team’s farm system, and his fundraising efforts for the Nicole Hazen Fund for Hope.
Where can I listen to “The Show” podcast?
You can listen to “The Show” podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, Amazon, or wherever you get your podcasts.
“Mike Hazen, GM of the Diamondbacks, Shares Insights on the Team’s Impressive Start”
The Arizona Diamondbacks have emerged as one of the biggest surprises in baseball this year. As they remain tied for first place with the Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West, it’s only fitting to chat with the person behind their success.
The D’backs General Manager, Mike Hazen, recently joined Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman on “The Show” podcast to discuss his team’s season as well as other current baseball news.
“The Show” Podcast with Joel Sherman & Jon Heyman:
- First Place Rangers: Despite the absence of Jacob deGrom, who is now set to receive Tommy John surgery, the Texas Rangers are finding ways to win thanks to their solid offensive firepower.
- Marlins Surprising Start: The Miami Marlins are notching up wins in close games, with a 16-4 record in one-run games, but the question remains as to whether this successful start will be sustainable.
- Mets’ Rocky Season: The New York Mets are struggling at the moment, with Francisco Lindor and Jeff McNeil needing to step up. The team is underachieving, and they will likely need bullpen help by the trade deadline.
Mike Hazen Interview:
- Strong Start: With an impressive record so far, the Diamondbacks appear to be a buyer as they look towards the trade deadline.
- Trade Deadline: Hazen states that his team needs to shore up their pitching and look for more hitting power externally as the trade market is competitive with many teams still in contention.
- Corbin Carroll: Hazen expresses his surprise that so many teams passed up on Corbin Carroll, who turned out to be an incredible player and leader for the Diamondbacks.
- Madison Bumgarner/Zac Gallen: Though the signing of Bumgarner didn’t work out, Hazen remains confident in his team’s pitching with Zac Gallen stepping up as a complete pitcher and ace.
- Farm System: The Diamondbacks have more plug-and-play pitchers than position players in Triple-A at the moment, but the team has a strong system overall with talented players in the pipeline.
- Nicole Hazen Fund for Hope: Hazen reflects on the tragic loss of his wife last season due to glioblastoma and how his life as a General Manager has been while raising four children and raising funds for the cause.