Utah Republican Chris Stewart to resign from Congress due to wife’s health concerns
Republican Congressman Chris Stewart of Utah has announced his plans to retire from the House of Representatives. The decision was prompted by a health issue with his wife, Evie. “But my wife’s health concerns have made it necessary that I retire from Congress after an orderly transition can be ensured,” said Stewart in a statement, adding that he needed to step away from Washington D.C. and focus on his family. The date of Stewart’s retirement has not yet been specified, nor the nature of Evie’s health issue. A replacement for the Utah representative will be chosen through a special primary and general election.
1. Who is Chris Stewart and what is his political affiliation?
– Chris Stewart is a Republican Congressman from Utah.
2. Why is he retiring from the House of Representatives?
– Stewart is retiring to take care of his wife who is facing a health issue.
3. When will he resign from Congress?
– The date of Stewart’s retirement has not been specified.
4. Will his absence affect the balance of power in the House of Representatives?
– Yes, temporarily, as the GOP will have a thinner majority in the House.
5. What happens after Stewart resigns?
– A special primary and general election will be held to choose his replacement.
Congressman Chris Stewart of Utah to step down from office over wife’s health issues
Republican Congressman Chris Stewart of Utah has announced his decision to retire from the House of Representatives due to his wife’s health issue. Stewart said in a statement, “It has been one of the great honors of my life to serve the good people of Utah in Congress… But my wife’s health concerns have made it necessary that I retire from Congress after an orderly transition can be ensured.” The exact nature of his wife’s health issue has not been disclosed. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy called it a demonstration of the “character of who he is.” The Republican Party’s majority in the House will be temporarily reduced after Stewart leaves.